It has been a while since I started using twitter, over 5 years (February 2009) according to twitter – around about the time I purchased my first Smartphone (HTC Dream). Back in the day it wasn’t so popular so I didn’t really think much about who I should and shouldn’t follow. I barely tweeted back then either however I used read twitter during my commutes to and from University. The more popular it became, the more people started to follow me and consequentially I would follow back if I knew them or were particularly interesting. It got to a point where I had so many tweets on my timeline that I needed to do something about it. Unfortunately this meant I couldn’t be on “#TeamFollowBack” anymore. So I started to be rather selective as to who to follow consequentially out of experience of twitter, became rules.
Check out my rules & guidelines as to who I follow:
First Disclaimer: It’s nothing personal!
- I should know you or you should have a lot in common.
- Quality not quantity. This is because I make special effort to read all the tweets on my timeline. I use Falcon Pro on my Android phone and I use Twitterrific on my work Laptop both of which work with Tweetmarker (a bookmark for your twitter timeline).
- An inspirational or funny celeb.
- An organisation of close interest.
- No more than 10% of your tweets must not be automatic third party tweets. (e.g. foursquare, last fm, facebook)
- Controlled Retweeting.
- Not too many rants.
- Your account isn’t lying dormant.
If I don’t follow you, it’s not because I don’t like you, it’s probably one of the above or I haven’t looked at your timeline yet. Nonetheless, I will probably have you added to a twitter list (not a lot of people make good use of this feature) of which I will check casually.
Unfortunately, even with those rules, I can’t get the perfect list of followers as a lot of interesting people on my timeline are Manchester United Fans. I have nothing against them but over the course of a MUFC match, especially during David Moyes reign, they all tweeted live commentary of their depression.
“I’m going to unfollow you now!”
Seriously? #SortItOut lol.
Obviously, feel free to follow me – if I’m interesting enough.